Purpose & Responsibilities
The International Center for Professional Development, in partnership with biotechnology and consumer healthcare industry sponsors, will host a training session for the 2021 Scientist Mentoring & Diversity Program for Biotechnology, (SMDP Biotech).
The year-long mentoring program brings together diverse students (Baccalaureate, Master or Ph.D.) and early career researchers for a professional development training experience June 14-15, 2021 (virtually). SMDP Biotech Scholars will be paired with industry mentors from biotechnology and consumer healthcare companies. In 2022, each Scholar/Mentor team will be provided the opportunity to attend The BIO International Convention. They work together for one year after the training session to carry out a personalized mentoring plan that helps prepare the SMDP Biotech Scholars for careers in industry.
The Outreach & Planning Committee is responsible for:
- Raising awareness of the Scientist Mentoring & Diversity Program for Biotechnology (SMDP Biotech)
- Planning the SMDP Biotech training session
- Developing a timeline for all Scholar and Mentor activities
- Identifying and providing suggestions for program content
- Recruiting SMDP Biotech Scholars and Mentors
- Suggesting and recommending speakers
- Providing oversight for Scholar selection
- Inviting special guests to attend and participate in the SMDP Biotech training session
- Promoting the “Celebration of Mentoring & Diversity in Biotech” reception by inviting guests to attend
- Program evaluation and reporting results to sponsor companies and to the public
- Promoting workforce diversity in the biotechnology and consumer healthcare industries
Who serves on this Committee?
- A designated chairperson
- Up to two staff representatives from each program sponsor organization
- Key regional stakeholders from collaborating organizations where the training session will occur, such as universities, associations, government agencies
- Former SMDP Biotech Scholars
- Elisabeth Valerio, President/CEO, ICPD
- Scott May, Executive Director, Executive Director, ICPD
- Dustie Savage, Programs Manager, ICPD