How do companies select staff as mentors?
ICPD provides participating companies with a mentor recruitment flyer, which is typically distributed by human resources or communications departments to all qualified staff within the company.
Once mentors have been identified, ICPD provides the mentors with additional orientation information and prepares them for the mentoring experience. ICPD also provides ongoing support for mentors as part of the program.
What committments are mentors making?
- Attend an orientation call prior to the SMDP training session
- Meet in person with your mentee and attend the entire SMDP training session (see program dates and locations using the links at the top of this page)
- Communicate with your mentee by phone, in person or through email. The frequency is suited to your mentor and mentee relationship and typically requires no more than 1-3 hours monthly.
- Mentoring continues for one year after the SMDP training session
- Provide communication or updates to ICPD for the continued improvement of the program
How do SMDP Scholars receive mentoring?
With their mentors, SMDP Scholars develop a Personalized Mentoring Plan which ncludes goals and action items designed to prepare the SMDP Scholars for careers in the medical technology, biotechnology or consumer healthcare industries.
Mentor-mentee teams carry out their mentoring plans for a year following the SMDP training session. They communicate monthly once a month by phone, email and virtually, aided by ICPD staff and the SMDP Mentoring Portal, a web-based tool that supports mentor-mentee collaboration and communication.
Want to become a SMDP Mentor?
Contact Elisabeth Freeman at:
or call us at 951 599-4956.